Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Another project: the fence/kennel or run-through

A couple months ago, I mentioned that we're going to install a fence/run-through/kennel in the backyard for my dog training. After a few hiccups and set-backs, I'm back to gathering materials. I still have a materials to get but I hope to have this fence up by the end of May.

The first hiccup was trying to figure out where we were going to put the kennel and how big it would be. I didn't really have an exact measurement in mind, but just long enough to be able to toss a ball for a dog to chase. (Dennis didn't really appreciate this vague description.)

And then there was where we would put it. At first, it was going to go alongside the house, right by the basement so we could literally just walk out the basement and into the dog kennel. Ideal for winter and also letting dogs out to pee, without having to go out with them.

This is an area of the house we haven't done much with--as you can see!


But then talk about putting in a fourth bedroom came about and Dennis starting the project by installing a door in the basement (for the bedroom) made it more of a reality. I didn't want to have to go through someone's bedroom every time I let out the dogs, so I scratched out that location (much to my disappointment!)

Then Minnesota decided to give us a second winter, so that was the next hiccup. I put the fence project on hold, since I wasn't sure when we were going to ever put a fence in (or IF.)

Finally things thawed out and I began to gather materials for the fence again. Things have been a little slower with dog training lately, so I haven't been too eager to spend my money--or what's left of it.

But then a few customers have gotten their dogs lined up with me for board and trained (for summer vacations) and I began to gather materials again. It's been hard using my money for this! Part of me wonders if I should have held off another year, but I've already started and I'm sure it will come in handy for the summer.

So we went shopping to get a few things that will only fit in the truck:

Seventeen foot top rail

We picked a new location which we decided would be by the shed. Dennis thought that connecting the fence to the shed could save me a little money. It was also in an area in the yard that doesn't flood. (The other side does pretty regularly.)


But then I began to think about dogs using the roof of the shed to escape. It could happen. I have seen dogs escape from fences higher than that back when I was volunteering at Countryside Vet.

Not only that, but I didn't like the idea of uprooting the swing set. I wanted the kids to still be able to use it.

So I changed my mind back to the old location again.

Back and forth I go. 

Yes, I will have to cross through someone's bedroom to get to the outside but oh well. And it looks like that project has come to a standstill, since Dennis said he wants to finish the basement first.

There's just too many good things about this location to pass up for one negative thing. And I also like that it will blend in a little more with the yard, rather than being stuck out in the middle.

The biggest thing is that since it will be alongside of the house, that will save me some $$$ since the house will be acting as a wall! I even might get to return some stuff.



We will only need two line posts instead of four, and hopefully only two roles of chain link fence instead of three. Those rolls are $30 each!!

In case you're wondering how I even know what materials to get for all of this, Home Depot has these handy little check lists of what you will need and how much.


It even has diagrams of what everything looks like so you can tell the difference between a line post and a end post, corner post and gate post.


And no, I am not endorsing Home Depot or anything, I just really like that they have these things! Otherwise, I would need to rely on Dennis to do all the planning for me. 

Anyway, that is our next project going on! Not necessarily home improvement (some buyers might hate the location of the fence, we might have to rip it out one day) but it is a good step towards dog training and boarding efficiency! 

I can't wait until it's done!!



No comments:

Post a Comment