Thursday, September 22, 2016

Little things

I'm doing little things in preparation for the girls room. Normally I would blog about every little thing I do, but this time I'm doing it a little different. This time, I'm going to do it all at once and give them a big reveal. :-)


So far, we have a door for the girls room. I'm in the middle of painting it and I always chafe at how long it takes. (Paint one side, let dry, flip and paint the other side, let dry, repeat.) Then of course, there is the trim as well. The door isn't part of the big reveal though.


Dennis hung the door temporarily to get the frame in and we realized that the door was a little too long and wouldn't open and close properly. So for three days, the girls got to keep their door, even though it didn't yet have a doorknob and didn't close. But hey, at least it didn't have a hole in it!


Now the door is off the hinges while I paint it white and the girls are back to no door again. But it won't be for long.


I'm also painting the chair rail that was in their room with a fresh coat of white. This picture doesn't do it justice. It's covering up all the marks and dirty fingerprints.

The chair rail originally hung
Not much to celebrate, I know, but I have been excited to even get this far. Next week, I hope that the girls will at least have a functional door.

In the meantime, what I have gathered together so far:


A chalkboard that will hopefully be used as an organizer.


A mason jar and blue flower that will decorate their desk.


I plan to install a (high) shelf of these cute glass figurines. I got them at Hobby Lobby for 60% off. I should have gotten more but I was still questioning if I made the right move in buying something so fragile. I'm going to get a few more with the girls favorite animals. Dolphins are one of Lucy's favorites.


I love this sign, and it's true--about ten or twenty years down the road, haha.


Some Catholic "girl power" inspiration! I love St.Maria Goretti, and I hope one day the girls will too. I don't remember what website I got this from, but if you google St.Maria Goretti posters, you will find it.


One blue throw pillow. (I plan to get more in different colors.)


And last, but not least, purple tulle. I'm sure you are thinking that blue is the main color here, but it's not. The girls have chosen a dark purple as their room color, but because it would be too dark, I am painting only one wall dark purple and the rest white with a purple undertone. The curtains will be white as well, with the purple tulle as tie-backs.

And as you have now guessed, blue is the accent color--also one of Lucy's favorite colors, and Anna is devoted to pink and purple.

The girls know nothing of what I have bought and I'm not sure they would get too excited over it even if they saw it now. Once it's all together, hopefully it will make some sense.

Still to get:

shelves
curtains
desk chairs
and possible even a special light with a bit of glimmer to it! The girls are only little for so long, right?

I am so excited to give this to them. They have been very patient living in a room with no door, no privacy, stripped walls and drabbiness. It's taking me some time to get it all together but when it does..

it will be great.

No comments:

Post a Comment