Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Dining Room Project (Again)

I've never been totally satisfied with our dining room remodel. It was an improvement from what it was (plywood floors and those bright yellow walls) but I couldn't get used to our "pink" walls.

Back when we were still on plywood


In case you might be wondering why I chose pink if I don't like pink (which I do, just not in a dining room), the silly little sample card said "Clay" not pink. Isn't clay supposed to be more of a tan with a pinkish undertone??

Granted, in the picture above, it doesn't look so bad. It all depends on how the light is hitting it.

Anyway, other than the walls, something else has been bugging me---the oak baseboards.

I know it's practically a sin to paint over perfectly good oak, but I am tired of seeing it. Oak is everywhere in this house. And it's really hard to match paint to an oak color.

So you know me. I painted it.



Or rather, I should say that I'm painting it. As usual, it takes forever for me to finish a painting project. But, I'm actually flying through this one.

I've already painted the trim around the window and patio door, plus the baseboard. All I have left is the crown molding.

Sigh. I need a new camera.

I love this darker color and as I said, it is so much easier to work with when matching up other colors. The only thing I don't like is that it makes the pink undertones even pinker.

I have not touched the fireplace yet. We are going to paint that white. Yep, white. Oh please, Lord, don't let this be a big mistake!



The new color that we are thinking of putting on the walls is sort of a darker tan/light grey. It will look nice with the dark trim but I'm a little worried it might make the room a little too dark, so I thought painting the fireplace white might be a cheerful focal point in the room.

And no, I don't plan on painting the marble. I think this could go unsaid, but Dennis blanched when I told him that I was going to paint the fireplace and he said, "but not the marble, right??" Of course not the marble! I am already practically already making a mortal sin by painting the oak!

And we are finally going to replace the lights. I don't know what we're going with yet. But I'm thinking a nice crystal light, to go with the brightness of the fireplace.




And then of course, the walls. I never did really decorate this room the way I liked it. I just found some huge canvas pictures on sale and put them up to try to cover up the huge space on the walls. A the time, I didn't really have an idea of how I would like to decorate but now they have so many cute "old farm kitchen" things that are selling. I love the country kitchen look.

Although, now that I'm thinking about it, that may not go very well with the fancy crystal lights.

Ah well, we have time. This is the fun of redecorating, doing it your style. Hopefully, for the last time!






No comments:

Post a Comment