Monday, April 8, 2019

Home imrpovement project: a new roof (and hopefully a new front porch soon!)

Again, it's been a while since I've done a home improvement post. So I have one for you, though not very exciting. A new roof.

It's probaby exciting to Dennis though, because he's been talking about the need to get a new roof put on since we moved in here. But new roofs cost money and so it got put on hold for a long time.


It's weird to see people perched on top of your house
Joey is unsure of what to think of all the noise.


Off the subject, now that we are getting our new roof, I'm on Dennis's case to get the ball moving on getting a front porch on the front of the house. It needs it. Doesn't it look like something is missing or something forgot to be added onto the front of the house??

This is something I wanted the minute I saw the house. I knew cosmetic stuff would have to come last since the house was in such bad shape inside--and then on the outside, Dennis insisted that before we do cosmetic stuff, we have to get a new roof on.

Well, now we have a new roof (or will have one, in the few hours hopefully.) So now I'm insisting on my new porch.

He brought up: "What about code restrictions?"

I said, "We'll figure it out!"

He said, "what if the city doesn't allow front porches?" (which is dumb but it can happen, apparently.)

I said, "We'll ask."

He said, "We really should get a central air conditioning uniit installed first...."

I said, "We're getting a front porch!!!!"

I have been (mostly) waiting patiently for six years. It's MY turn.

Goodbye, nasty ol' shingles




The front porch probably won't happen until next year, although I would love it to happen now. But with the new roof being put on, we don't have the money. (Next years tax rebate will hopefully go to the front porch.) But I'm at least going to have someone come out and give us an estimate so we can start budgeting.

We also need to repair our back balcony, another project that's been put off for years. It is literally rotting and the dogs have been chewing holes through the floor.

But today we're getting a new roof put on. That's at least one thing crossed off our list of things to do, six years and waiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment